Signed in as:
- My Account
Signed in as:
Eddie and William were the sons of Francis and Adeline Roper, arriving in Beulah in 1885. Eddie was three years old and William just a baby at that time. Their father was a Methodist minister and teacher in and outside of the valley. At adulthood, Eddie moved to Rye and learned the blacksmith trade, met Louisa Hardin and married in 1904. He opened a blacksmith shop in Beulah in 1911, but the disastrous fire of 1912 burned several buildings and his was one of them. His next move was to Goodpasture where he and his brother William opened another shop doing both blacksmithing and Ford auto mechanics from 1915-1938. William's father-in-law, William Opp, became an associate with them also. He lived on the east wing of the building. Louisa died very early with pneumonia; they had no children. Ed married again late in life to Marie Boone who had three daughters. They lived at the Wales Canon area until retirement. William had two sons, Melvin and Roy, who are still owners of The Early Homesteads (1992).
First Pueblo County Fair Held at Goodpasture, Just East of Beulah
First Goodpasture Post Office - 1895 WALES CANON AREA
According to the National Archives, the first post office at Goodpasture, Pueblo County, was established in 1895, John H. Murphy appointed postmaster. William F. Goodpasture, postmaster in Beulah at that time, petitioned for this proposed office to be called Goodpasture. This new office was located six miles north-east of Beulah on the Siloam Road, referred to as the Wales Canon locality. Homesteaders settled on both sides of dry canon westwardly towards the ridges overlooking Beulah Valley. The old map somewhat designates some of the landmarks in relation to the post office there, which eventually burned in the early 1900's. (Recalled by Edna Simonson now deceased.) Lee R. Roper was the second and last postmaster appointed in 1899 at a new location, eventually becoming the Goodpasture Community Center. He held this appointment for 25 years until closing in 1924.
About 1900 a Post Office was authorized at Goodpasture with Lee Roper as Postmaster. Later his son Wilbur Roper served as Postmaster. The Goodpasture Post Office served the surrounding ranches, and also had a route to Couzzen Springs to the north, and another which went south to the 3-R Ranch and east to the Sitton Post Office near Burnt Mill. These routes were operated only a short time.
In 1922 Wilber Roper circulated a petition requesting a Rural Free Delivery Route to start at Goodpasture and go via Beulah, the 3 R-Ranch, Burnt Mill, Couzzen Springs and back to Goodpasture. This request was granted, but the starting place was soon changed to Beulah.
Andy Anderson was appointed temporary carrier until a Civil Service Examination was held and William Middleton received the appointment, but was soon relieved of his duties and Wilbur Roper was appointed temporary carrier. Paul Even received the next appointment and served from July 1, 1923 until retiring January 1, 1949. Ray Traeber was appointed next and is still serving.
Copyright © 2023 Beulah Historical Society - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by BHS Volunteers!